Re: On privacy and cloud services

Dnia piątek, 14 czerwca 2013 o 18:40:18 Blaise Alleyne napisał(a):
> On 13-06-14 11:45 AM, Daniel Smith wrote:

> >> I find this actually more challenging that it sounds. [...] for
> >> social networking with any aspect of private data... beyond say my
> >> wife and maybe my parents, most family members and friends are
> >> probably more comfortable with the NSA having full access to their
> >> data then with someone in their own social circle.
> >>
> >> It's not that they don't trust me, but very few family members or
> >> friends what to share *all* their information with me. There's
> >> going to be some things that they want to keep private, and I will
> >> not always be the intended audience. [...]
> >
> > Yes, Blaise, but that's the fascinating thing about these concepts.
> > If you added up all the ignorance or missing part of reality in people's
> > perceptions...
> >
> > :) [...]
>
> Well, more awareness might make people value their privacy from
> government/corporate surveillance more, but it doesn't eliminate the need
> for healthy privacy between family/friends as well. I think it would add
> weight to the "remote" privacy concern, maybe even tip the balance, but it
> doesn't negate the "local" privacy concerns.
>
> Something like end-to-end encryption with client-side keys could, but
> that's complicated and burdensome...
>
> It's not a dealbreaker. But it is another hurdle that I've been coming to
> notice more and more. Just because you value your privacy from
> government/corporate surveillance, doesn't mean that you want to share
> *everything* with your good sysadmin friend -- that's a challenge for
> hosting private data for people to you know.

Yes, but hosting the data with your sysadmin friend (at least for me) is a lot
more comfortable than using corporate walled garden.

Also, as I have pointed out earlier, the Right Way to solve it finally is
self-hosted peer-to-peer, completely decentralised, federated, encrypted
social network. Like RetroShare or Sneer.

But they are years away from being useful, still. So we need this top-gap
measure of semi-centralised solutions (like Friendica, Diaspora, etc), so that
people use them and have their data at least partly accessible and exportable,
not completely locked-down in walled-gardens.

--
Pozdrawiam
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Fundacja Wolnego i Otwartego Oprogramowania