Re: On privacy and cloud services

On 13-06-14 11:45 AM, Daniel Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Blaise Alleyne wrote:
>>>
>>> Setting up a social server for your family and friends on a server
>>> you control is a step in the right direction.
>>>

>> I find this actually more challenging that it sounds. [...] for
>> social networking with any aspect of private data... beyond say my
>> wife and maybe my parents, most family members and friends are
>> probably more comfortable with the NSA having full access to their
>> data then with someone in their own social circle.
>>
>> It's not that they don't trust me, but very few family members or
>> friends what to share *all* their information with me. There's
>> going to be some things that they want to keep private, and I will
>> not always be the intended audience. [...]
>>

> Yes, Blaise, but that's the fascinating thing about these concepts.
> If you added up all the ignorance or missing part of reality in people's perceptions...
> :) [...]

Well, more awareness might make people value their privacy from government/corporate surveillance more, but it doesn't eliminate the need for healthy privacy between family/friends as well. I think it would add weight to the "remote" privacy concern, maybe even tip the balance, but it doesn't negate the "local" privacy concerns.

Something like end-to-end encryption with client-side keys could, but that's complicated and burdensome...

It's not a dealbreaker. But it is another hurdle that I've been coming to notice more and more. Just because you value your privacy from government/corporate surveillance, doesn't mean that you want to share *everything* with your good sysadmin friend -- that's a challenge for hosting private data for people to you know.