Re: RE : Re: Federation protocols

On 12 June 2013 20:38, Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak <rysiek@fwioo.pl> wrote:

> Again, show me such a de facto standard, please. And until you do, I will
> voice my opinion we need interoperability. I don't really care if it's
> interoperability between *instances* or *implementations* as long as it is
> (de facto) standard and without a doubt (by a huge margin) *most* of the
> libre
> people using this kind of technology use this particular protocol/standard.

That's not how successful standardisation works.

At one point the gopher protocol was THE way to access information on the
internet.

Then some annoying little upstart at CERN started trying to get people to
use his standard for hypertext. And nobody wanted to even have him speak at
hypertext conferences. But he kept on working on it and building
*real-world* use cases and applications and a software ecosystem.

Others started contributing code to the NCSA browser and httpd.

HTML was successful because someone went and built something that was
incompatible with the gopher protocol.

THEN it was standardised.

Bottom up works. Top down gives us standards that only a telco could love.

Join a project and start working on code or documentation that you like.
Theres more than enough to work to go around.

S.
--
Simon Tennant | buddycloud.com | +49 17 8545 0880 | office hours:
goo.gl/tQgxP