Re: Web Browser Standards Support

Quoting Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>:
> Le 05-12-14 à 19:26, Anne van Kesteren a écrit :
>> Quoting Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>:
>>> I haven't had the chance to evaluate the report but it seems
>>> interesting. It shows for example that HTML 4.01 is far to be
>>> implemented, even if we read often the opposite here and there.
>>
>> Kind of hard to do for browsers without proper testsuites and
>> without HTML 4.01
>> being fixed for error handling and other ambiguous cases.
>
> Yes agreed Anne.
> Kind of surprising that
>  * Safari (Dave Hyatt), - W3C Member
>  * Mozilla (Ian Hickson) - W3C Member, and
>  * Opera (Anne Van Kesteren, ex Ian Hickson) - W3C Member
> haven't committed to finish the completion of the [HTML 4.01 Test
> Suite][1] initially started by Microsoft (Tantek Çelik) and the WASP
>  released in… 2003!

Ian Hickson represents Google last time I checked ;-) Opera, together with
Mozilla, did make a proposal to continue this work some time ago:
<http://www.w3.org/2004/04/webapps-cdf-ws/papers/opera>

I believe there has been some pushing as well to do some HTML 4.01 errata or
have some (X)HTML interop work started similar to CSS 2.1 but that has never
started. And therefore: Web Apps 1.0 (HTML5).

> I haven't found also a Test Suite for Web Apps 1.0 and WebForms 2.0
> as well. Do you know if it exists?

There will soon be a public testsuite for Web Forms 2 if all goes well.
Web Apps
has to wait a little longer I guess. Parts of the specification are not yet
finalized and parts might be taken over by the W3C. (Drag & drop,
XMLHttpRequest, etc.)

Some simple canvas tests are out there:
<http://hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/html/canvas/>
<http://annevankesteren.nl/test/html/canvas/>