Re: Is SKOS XML?

Hi Emily,

Not a stupid question at all. SKOS uses the RDF data model, which has
an XML serialization (among others). For example here's some XML for
the concept Art in the Library of Congress Subject Headings:

    http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh85007461.rdf

Since it's RDF, every concept in a Thesaurus has a URL. These URLs are
used to link together each concept with its broader, narrower and
related terms...much as you link documents together with HTML. In fact
you can also express SKOS in HTML using RDFa [2]. Here's an example
from the STW Thesaurus for Economics for the concept Coin:

    http://zbw.eu/stw/descriptor/11434-5

Anyhow, it is a lot to dive into. If you aren't scared off yet, and
want to learn more about RDF I recommend the RDF Primer [3]. After
that you could take a look at the SKOS Primer [4]. Several Thesaurus
management software tools have export as SKOS functionality; so maybe
you don't need to learn all the details necessarily.

If you have the time it would be interesting to know why you started
looking for something like SKOS. Do you have a thesaurus already and
are looking for a way to share it with other people? Or are you
looking to build a thesaurus and fishing around for options on how to
store it?

//Ed

[1] http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh85007461.rdf
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-rdfa-primer/