Re: skos:prefLabel without language tag

Hi Antoine,

+1, I think, sortof, maybe. :-)
It depends a bit on what you're saying.

If we take the Open World assumption of the RDF data model into
consideration, then it would seem reasonable to state to a _reasoner_ that a
skos:prefLabel _must_ have a language tag, particularly given the intent of
[S14], even if that language tag is currently unknown. Using Bernard's
excellent example, this would imply to me at least that the 'conformance' of
the following can't be determined without more information:
ex:foo  skos:prefLabel 'A'; prefLabel 'B'@en

And that the following isn't redundant, but rather supplies that
information:
ex:foo  skos:prefLabel 'A'; prefLabel 'A'@en

I think this is a somewhat separate issue from the one that you raised with
the RDF folks:
_If_ the specification _requires_ a language tag in order to determine
conformance with [S14], does this:
ex:foo  skos:prefLabel 'A'
infer this:
ex:foo  skos:prefLabel 'A'@""

If that is the case, that would transform this:
ex:foo  skos:prefLabel 'A'; prefLabel 'B'@en
into this:
ex:foo  skos:prefLabel 'A'@""; prefLabel 'B'@en
which is conformant with [S14], and this:
 ex:foo  skos:prefLabel 'A'@""; prefLabel 'A'@en
which is not conformant, _unless_ you consider that
 ex:foo  skos:prefLabel 'A'@en
is a higher-value, more refined replacement for
 ex:foo  skos:prefLabel 'A'@""

Bernard's refinement of the rule would seem to be an application-specific
case, even though I think that rule of interpreting an empty language tag to
mean 'all' or 'any' language rather than 'no language' is highly useful best
practice. His rule has value in determining which labels to display or which
concepts to return from a search, but this is slightly different than
discussing conformance to [S14].

I hope you get an answer from the rdf-wg, but I agree with you that what
constitutes 'acceptable' data, especially when aggregating data from
disparate systems should be broadly defined even if that is somewhat
different than what defines 'conformance'. Postel's robust principle: "be
liberal in what you accept; be conservative in what you send" provide's
useful guidance.

Jon

--
Jon

I check email just a couple of times daily; to reach me sooner, click here:
http://awayfind.com/jonphipps