RE: skos:prefLabel without language tag

Hi all,

agree with Bernard.

Even more, for how much it can seem restrictive (and possibly causing huge
panic for retrocompatibility with huge amount of existing data, but every
revolution has its heads chopped off…), I would think of a revision of SKOS
as *really* suggesting not to use (forbidding?)  prefLabels with no language
tag. One of the SKOS objectives was to give a decent coverage of the
linguistic descriptions of concept schemes (and ontologies in general, as
prefLabel is now an AnnotationProperty [S10] thus admitting any resource in
its domain), and thus a prefLabel with no language tag makes no sense to me.
One could say that plainLiterals could be used with no langtag to address
specific codes related to no natural language, but there are better options
for that (i.e. skos:notation).

In my experience, I’ve always had to make-do somehow with missing lang tags,
because usually those values still are explained in some language, so you
have to know it in advance, or guess it…so, lot of patches to any software
ever written for natural language querying over ontologies, to account for
the language assumed to be used for no-langtagged-literals. Collapsing
indexes for no-lang-tags with lang-tags of the same language etc…

This is a dirty work to be done when dealing with rdfs:label, but an highly
specified (and specific) property as prefLabel could surely better live
without “no-lang-tagged” plainLiterals.

Armando