Re: Label management information in SKOS-XL (continuing from UMTHES and SKOS-XL)

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 at 23:17:06, Johan De Smedt
<johan.de-smedt@tenforce.com> wrote

>Hi Christophe, I provided some in-line considerations

I am encouraged that this issue has been opened again, because as a
member of the ISO 25964 working party, I am keen to resolve any
divergence between SKOS and that standard. Part 1 of that standard is
still in draft, but will soon be circulated to national standardising
bodies for comment - they may be willing to supply copies to interested
parties, for a price :-(

Some of the issues were discussed in my message of 13th February 2009
and subsequent discussion

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2009Feb/0033.html>

The UML model has been slightly modified since then, and I attach a copy
of the latest version of the class diagram below. There are notes in the
standard which give more detail, but due to ISO copyright restrictions I
am very sorry not to be able to make them available; I shall however do
my best to clarify any further points if anyone asks.

>By the way, labels reification opens the way to write labels which are
>written from multiple coordinated concepts.

>A reified label of a coordination concept could include an rdf:Seq.
>This rdf:Seq would contain strings and/or refers to (reified) labels from
>the different coordinated concepts and/or refers to coordination operators
>(conjunctions).

>This could generate a dynamic literalForm based on the labels of the
>differeent coordinated concepts.

This is the main element that is missing to allow the model to represent
classification schemes and other forms of pre-coordinated knowledge
organisation schemes. Such schemes typically have classes which
represent compound concepts, in which concepts from more than one facet
are combined, such as an activity and the people who carry out that
activity. When changes of facet occur within a classification hierarchy,
the relationship is one of synthesis rather than of subordination, and
neither SKOS nor the ISO model yet provide for this.

I would like to see this added to our model, and I think that it will
probably involve a solution on the lines that Christophe suggests above.
It is not just a case of combining labels, though; presumably we have to
treat the compound concept as a type of concept in the model, so that we
have concepts which are made up of compounds of other, simpler,
concepts, combined in a specified sequence, possibly with coordination
operators, and with corresponding labels. Would anyone like to try
adding this to the model below?

Coordination of concepts has previously been discussed during the
development of SKOS but was not followed through because it was "too
hard" to deal with within the time available, e.g.

<http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/proposals.html#coordination-8>
<http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/40>

Can we look at it again now?

Regards

Leonard Will

--
Willpower Information     (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants            Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092