 From: public-esw-thes-request@w3.org on behalf of Rob Tice
 Sent: Mon 9/29/2008 08:57
 To: public-esw-thes@w3.org
 Subject: revisions and change in skos

 Dear list members

 The background to my questions is that we are currently considering
 developing a
 'SKOS resolver' (for want of a better description) for our
 terminology management solution to sit alongside the other formats we
 currently implement.

 This has however thrown up some questions.

 As part of this requirement we (ideally)need to:
 1 Expose versioning information
 2 Allow identification of terminology changes between versions

 As these are parts of our existing solution which are already exposed
using
 other formats.

 So...

 1. How should we expose versioning information given that uri's for
   concepts are fixed (please don’t say timestamps on
   uri's :))

 2. How should we identify and manage change between revisions of
concept
 schemes as this 'seems' to result in imprecision.
    e.g. a concept 'a' is currently in thes 'A' and only has a
preferred
 label. A new revision of thes 'A' is published and what was concept
'a'
    is now a non preferred concept and thus becomes simply a non
preferred
 label
    for a new concept 'b'.

    It seems to me that this operation loses some
    of the semantic meaning of the change as all references to the
    concept id of 'concept a' would be lost as it now is only a non
preferred

    label of a different concept with a different id (concept 'b').

 Any comments would be much appreciated.

 Best Regards

 Rob

 Rob Tice, Director