Re: [SKOS] Proposed Resolution for ISSUE 26: RelationshipBetweenLabels

Hello Alistair and Mark,

>> A disadvantage of this solution is that the class skos:Annotation would
>> be rather general, with different extensions potentially serving quite
>> different purposes. How should generic SKOS applications handle this?
>

> Maybe providing two subclasses of skos:Annotation for modeling either
> Relations or Terms provides some support for generic apps to
> understand the extensions? That immediately provides clues on how to
> interpret skos:annotation and skos:annotatesLiteral in the two cases.

To me this amounts to explicitly endorse both Term-as-class and
Relation-as-class approaches in the standard.
Notice that in my opinion, if we choose the generic approach Alistair
proposes in [1], introducing explicitly this specializations appears the
only tractable solution. There is elegance in the proposed model, which
does the job, that's sure. But from a practical point of view, letting
users deal alone with an Annotation class sounds to me more like a
nightmare, if this class groups resources that can be terms, relations
between literals, as well as "standard" annotations (like creation date).

Also, when you look at [2] and the Term-as-class implementation example,
a concept has both a preferredLabel (pointing to a literal) and a
preferredTerm (pointing to a resource)

>ex:A a skos:Concept;
>  skos:prefLabel "animals"@en;
>  skos:altLabel "fauna"@en;
>  ex:preferredTerm [
>    a ex:ThesaurusTerm;
>    ex:literalValue "animals"@en;
>  ];
>  ex:nonPreferredTerm [
>    a ex:ThesaurusTerm;
>    ex:literalValue "fauna"@en;
>  ].

I don't think this is really good practice: I would even prefer the
sloppiness introduced by the range underspecification in Guus' second
(or third? ;-) proposal [3]

Cheers,

Antoine

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Mar/0092.html