Re: question concerning collections

Hi all,

Yes, this is the "collections-5" issue - there is a major issue with
the usage of the skos:Collection class as currently described in the
SKOS Core Guide - as Bernard notes, we have managed to design a system
that entails the exact opposite of what we intended!

I realised recently there is another, very simple solution to the
collections-5 problem. To represent the following extract from a
thesaurus ...

people
.<people by age>
..children
..adults
..elderly

... just do this (and nothing more) ...

@prefix eg: <http://example.com/eg#>.

eg:A skos:prefLabel "people"@en;
   skos:narrower eg:B, eg:C, eg:D.

eg:B skos:prefLabel "children"@en.
eg:C skos:prefLabel "adults"@en.
eg:D skos:prefLabel "elderly"@en.

[] rdfs:label "people by age";
   skos:memberList (eg:B eg:C eg:D).

... now, when generating a tree representation, apply the following
algorithm: if *all* the members of a collection have a skos:broader
link to the same concept, then the collection can be rendered as a
child of the broader concept in the tree.

I.e. the RDF above is *sufficient* to regenerate the initial tree
representation. I.e. there is actually no necessity to link the
collection and the parent concept *at all*.

P.S. I never liked "collection" either, best alternative I've come up
with so far is "concept group" - I would go for "array" but for the
ambiguity with it's use in computer programming.

Cheers,

Al.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/proposals#collections-5

--