Re: question concerning collections

tis 2006-05-30 klockan 15:58 +0100 skrev Alistair Miles:

> people
> .<people by age>
> ..children
> ..adults
> ..elderly
>
> ... just do this (and nothing more) ...
>
> @prefix eg: <http://example.com/eg#>.
>
> eg:A skos:prefLabel "people"@en;
>    skos:narrower eg:B, eg:C, eg:D.
>
> eg:B skos:prefLabel "children"@en.
> eg:C skos:prefLabel "adults"@en.
> eg:D skos:prefLabel "elderly"@en.
>
> [] rdfs:label "people by age";
>    skos:memberList (eg:B eg:C eg:D).
>
> ... now, when generating a tree representation, apply the following
> algorithm: if *all* the members of a collection have a skos:broader
> link to the same concept, then the collection can be rendered as a
> child of the broader concept in the tree.

This is a kind of "out-of-line" representation - i.e. the grouping is
added outside of and independently of the main RDF construct.

It should be noted that a similar solution will be needed for properties
like dc:creator once dc:creator gets a range of "Agent" - no Bags of
authors will be allowed, but the Bag can be added externally.

One thing this breaks is the assumption that all interesting information
about a URI can be reached through the anonymous closure in the
"forward" direction. Thus, to get the relevant subgraph for a URI, one
now has to take into account the possibility of backtracking to find
collections. I'm not sure that's a problem though - I rather like the
out-of-line solution - especially when compared to the alternatives :-)

/Mikael