RE: translations for new properties

Copy to the list of the translation with remarks already sent to Alistair (and actually
already published), just to show how tricky a translation might become ...

The first one is quite easy

<rdf:Property rdf:ID="note">
  <rdfs:label xml:lang="fr">note</rdfs:label>
  <skos:definition xml:lang="fr">Une note générale, d'utilisation
quelconque</skos:definition>
  <rdfs:comment xml:lang="fr">Cette propriété peut être utilisée directement, ou comme
super-propriété de types de notes plus spécifiques.</rdfs:comment>
</rdf:Property>

The second is a bit tricky, because "label" and "literal" are variously translated into
French, if at all (at least among techies, people use the english words). I'm not sure if
l'Académie Française would agree on "étiquette" and "littéral", even if those are used by
unofficial translations of RDF spec in French. Moreover the latter is generally used in
french as an adjective only, and not as a noun. But is it not the same in english outside
RDF land?

Moreover, it is more natural in french to use "représentation symbolique" than "étiquette
symbolique", even if "représentation" can be as controversial in french than in english.
And there is a potential clash with "gettable representation" to translate also, which I'm
not sure I got properly. Does "gettable" means that you can get the image somehow over the
network, meaning that the URI value of a skos:symbol actually *retrieves* an image?
Assuming that, I've translated it by "adressable", which is the best I could find ...
there is no french verb as flexible as "get" ...

So the following is rather wishy-washy. I've translated "label" and "representation" by
"représentation", and "labelling" by "étiquetage". Hmmm ...

<rdf:Property rdf:ID="symbol">
  <rdfs:label xml:lang="fr">représentation symbolique</rdfs:label>
  <skos:definition xml:lang="fr">Une image qui est une représentation symbolique de la
ressource</skos:definition>
  <rdfs:comment xml:lang="fr">Cette propriété est à peu près analogue à rdfs:label, mais
pour l'étiquetage de ressources par des images qui ont des représentations addressables,
plutôt que par des littéraux RDF.</rdfs:comment>
</rdf:Property>

BTW there is a typo in the original "analagous" is "analogous", I guess

Maybe I'll come out with better ideas.

Cheers

Bernard

Bernard Vatant