Re: Glossary of terms relating to thesauri and faceted classifica tion

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 04:37:05PM +0100, Thomas Baker wrote:
> > I would for now like to avoid the phrase "SKOS term", because it is not
> > clear whether that refers to the SKOS Core vocabulary itself or instance
> > data described using the SKOS Core vocabulary.  Better we talk about "the
> > RDF terms of the SKOS Core vocabulary" or something like that.
>
> But are the terms of the SKOS Core vocabulary really
> "RDF terms" in the sense defined in [4] and [5]?
> Is "http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#Collection" an
> _identifier_for_ the SKOS term "collection" (i.e., the SKOS
> concept "collection"), or _is_ the URI the SKOS term??

This questions perhaps needs to be put more explicitly.
When the SKOS Core spec says "here are the terms of the
SKOS Core vocabulary", what _are_ those terms, really?

-- Are they conceptual entities _identified_ by URI references
   such as "http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#Collection"?

-- Or are the URI references themselves "the terms"?  And is
   the SKOS Core vocabulary the "set of URI references"?

If the latter, then I would understand the URI references to
be "RDF terms" in the sense defined in [4] and [5].

Personally, I would prefer to hear that the former was
actually intended.

Anyone who can set my mind at rest on this point gets a beer.
Anyone who can set my mind at rest with a really satisfying
explanation gets _alot_ of beer!

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                        Thomas.Baker@izb.fraunhofer.de
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven         mobile +49-160-9664-2129