Re: Glossary of terms relating to thesauri and faceted classifica tion

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 01:47:55PM -0000, Alistair Miles wrote:
> Tom B wrote:
> > These problems could perhaps be addressed with careful wording.
> > However, I'm not sure much can be done to avoid the terminology
> > clash between a thesaurus "term" (a natural-language label,
> > which may sometimes also be a descriptor identifying a concept)
> > and an SKOS "term" (a concept, or unit of thought, identified
> > with a URI and labelled with natural-language "labels").
> > Both uses of "term" are fundamental to their respective
> > communities.  "Term" is perhaps one of those words that is
> > doomed to have multiple functions -- e.g. even in the title:
> > a "Glossary of terms...".
>
> I myself never refer to a concept in a SKOS concept scheme as a "term" in a
> "vocabulary", because of the possibility for confusion.

Right.  I did not mean to imply that SKOS calls a thesaurus
concept a "term" -- I was referring to the "terms" of the SKOS
Core vocabulary itself -- e.g., Collection [1], Concept [2]...
As in: "The base namespace for all terms in the SKOS Core
vocabulary is..." and "Each term (i.e. class or property)
in the SKOS Core vocabulary..." [3].

Tom

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#Collection
[2] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#Concept
[3] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/spec/2004-12-17.html

>                                                          I've tried to keep
> "term" out of all SKOS Core documentation for the same reason.

I noticed this!  It seems wise...

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                        Thomas.Baker@izb.fraunhofer.de
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven         mobile +49-160-9664-2129