Re: Glossary of terms relating to thesauri and faceted classifica tion

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 03:19:17PM -0000, Alistair Miles wrote:
> > Not quite...  I am not talking about the thesaurus concepts
> > that are described using the SKOS Core vocabulary but the
> > "terms" of the SKOS Core vocabulary itself -- terms such as
> > Collection [1] or even Concept [2].  As in: "The base namespace
> > for all terms in the SKOS Core vocabulary is..." and "Each term
> > (i.e.  class or property) in the SKOS Core vocabulary..." [3].
>
> Sorry Tom, I misunderstood you too.  I have often wanted to use a different
> name to refer to the 'elements/terms/blah' of the SKOS Core vocabulary
> itself, but couldn't think of a better name.  The best alternative I thought
> of so far is to refer to the 'classes and properties' of the SKOS Core
> vocabulary.  Do you think we should substitute 'terms' for 'classes and
> properties' in the SKOS Core Guide and Spec where it has this meaning?

To be honest, I do not know!  In this context, "terms" seems a
bit overdetermined, and therefore confusing.  Maybe it would
be clearest simply to talk about "the classes and properties
of SKOS Core".

> > To muddy the waters yet further: in the draft SPARQL spec,
> > an "RDF Term" is defined as "anything that can occur in the
> > RDF data model" -- i.e., literals and URI references! [4]
> >
> > This is somewhat in line with the notion that a vocabulary is a
> > "set of URI references" [5,6].  (Or is it...?)
> >
> > I do not see any way around the "term" problem other than to
> > specify what one means in a particular context ("thesaurus
> > term", "SKOS term", "RDF term"...).
>
> This is a major problem for SKOS.  We could perhaps talk about the SKOS Core
> 'resource set' where SKOS Core is itself a description of a set of
> 'resources' (in the RDF sense), and each SKOS Core resource is either an RDF
> property or an RDFS class.

Hmm, I see what you mean, but my first reaction to the name
"resource set" is very negative because I do not immediately
understand what you mean.

>                             But here also 'resource' to RDF people means
> 'thing' whereas 'resource' to most SKOS Core users probably means 'document'
> or 'information resource'.

Right.  "Resource" is too generic here...

> I would for now like to avoid the phrase "SKOS term", because it is not
> clear whether that refers to the SKOS Core vocabulary itself or instance
> data described using the SKOS Core vocabulary.  Better we talk about "the
> RDF terms of the SKOS Core vocabulary" or something like that.

But are the terms of the SKOS Core vocabulary really
"RDF terms" in the sense defined in [4] and [5]?
Is "http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#Collection" an
_identifier_for_ the SKOS term "collection" (i.e., the SKOS
concept "collection"), or _is_ the URI the SKOS term??

> It is our bane to be working at the confluence of two domains with so much
> overlapping vocabulary :)

Indeed...!
Tom

> Al.
>

> > Tom
> >
> > [1] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#Collection
> > [2] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#Concept
> > [3] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/spec/2004-12-17.html
> > [4] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/
> > [5] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/
> > [6] http://www.w3.org/2003/glossary/subglossary/owl-guide.rdf/20
> >
> > --
> > Dr. Thomas Baker                        Thomas.Baker@izb.fraunhofer.de
> > Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven         mobile +49-160-9664-2129
> > Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft                          work +49-30-8109-9027
> > 53754 Sankt Augustin, Germany                    fax +49-2241-144-2352
> > Personal email: thbaker79@alumni.amherst.edu

Ind