FW: Single value for soks:prefLabel ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Miles, AJ (Alistair)
Sent: 09 February 2004 13:58
To: 'Charles McCathieNevile'
Subject: Single value for soks:prefLabel ?

OK, let's have a go at making this argument clear.

I've said, that the soks:prefLabel property is NOT inverse functional.  That
is, two concepts may have exactly the same soks:prefLabel value.

However, as a point of good practise in constructing a conceptual scheme
such as a thesaurus, the creator(s) should ensure that no two concepts from
their scheme have the same value for soks:prefLabel.

This then means that the value for soks:prefLabel can be used to uniquely
identify concepts within that particular scheme.  (This idea is second
nature to thesaurus developers.  For them, not allowing two identical
descriptor-terms into a thesaurus is axiomatic.)

So there's three options for soks:prefLabel.

1.  soks:prefLabel should be used so that it uniquely identifies a concept
globally (inverse functional).

2.  soks:prefLabel should be used so that it uniquely identifies a concept
within a conceptual scheme (in effect inverse functional within a given
scope).

3.  soks:prefLabel doesn't uniquely identify anything at any level.

(1) is obviously impractical.  (2) could be useful.  (3) is most flexible.

Personally, I say that we write the support documentation to strongly
recommend users implement their thesauri in SKOS adhering to (2).  This then
gives them the option of working with terms only, and
reference-by-description, if they want to.  But obviously there is nothing
to stop users breaking (2) and doing whatever they like.  The only
consequence is, they lose the ability to have people reference their
concepts via the soks:prefLabel property.

Chaals: what do you say to all that?

Al.