RE: [Proposal][SKOS-Core] handling top concepts

Not so much an objection as a puzzlement. Leonard's message of 7 August
clarified that we thesaurus builders think of relationships as existing
between terms or concepts rather than existing between concepts and the
vocabularies that include the concepts. So if there is an attribute
"hasTopConcept" we would expect that to be a way of expressing the
widely used inter-term relationship called "Top Term" and abbreviated
"TT".

Example:
	Cattle
	  BT Mammals
	  TT Animals
	  NT Heifers

Some thesauri have displays which present the whole thesaurus as a set
of hierarchies under all the Top Terms present. (And the number of top
terms is typically in the hundreds or more, unless very general top
terms such as "Entities" and "Properties" are employed).  It is useful
to be able to identify all the top terms in the thesaurus, so that you
can easily present one of these displays. So I suppose you could say
that the top terms were in some way attributes of the thesaurus.
(Although I would normally think of them as content items rather than
attributes) But I certainly don't see "having a top term (or concept)"
as being a relationship between a scheme and a concept.

By the way, a scheme must have at least one term (concept) in it to
exist at all, and that term, if alone, would be a top term (concept). In
other words, no such thing as a scheme that has no top terms (concepts).

Perhaps "relationship" means something different in the RDF world?
Rather unlucky when that world meets the thesaurus world and we try to
cross-communicate!

Stella

Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, Oxon, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
SDClarke@LukeHouse.demon.co.uk