Re: [Proposal][SKOS-Core] handling top concepts

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:09:20 -0400, Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org> wrote:

> Thanks, this identifies a discomfort I've had w/ interactions between
> 'top concept' notion and thesaurus mixing. At heart you're saying
> 'top concept' is a relation between a a scheme/dataset/thesaurus and
> a concept. Makes sense to me.

This is why I suggested skos:hasTopConcept to Alistair.  You can't
promote one concept to 'top' in a shared web, since it might not be
a top concept in another thesaurus in the same graph.  It is a
relationship between the thesaurus and some concept(s).

> So would this be:
>
> <owl:FunctionalProperty rdf:about="http:///....../skos/core#hasTopConcept"/>
>
> ie. anything that has a skos:hasTopConcept has only one such thing?

No.  It may be 0 or more.  But if such a relationship exists it should be between
the skos:ConceptScheme and some skos:Concept.  We had to pick
a direction and it is most useful if it is written down (in rdf/xml say)
near the skos:ConceptScheme where other thesaurus-specific information
is recorded since if you are considerign the thesarus itself, you want
to see the general items about it - such as top concepts - if the exist.
Hence skos:hasTopConcept rather than skos:topConceptIn

Dave