Re: EPUB tables in reading solutions

Further details - as I've spent a lot of hours researching that so just
for the sake of documenting.

This is an issue that is shared with the web, and the challenges have
been extensively documented, cf. articles from one single website:

  *
https://css-tricks.com/complete-guide-table-element/#article-header-id-26
  * https://css-tricks.com/accessible-simple-responsive-tables/
  * https://css-tricks.com/responsive-data-tables/

And ebooks add fragmentation on top of those challenges.

So this is definitely not an ebook-specific issue by any means, and
authoring solutions - albeit not perfect in the sense they have to be
adapted - exist. That said, Reading Systems will lose whatever they do
here: they will be equally blamed if they leave the table untouched or
try to do something in order to improve the UX. In the end, it's a
lose-lose situation for everyone: the user, the author, the RS.

Best,

Jiminy

Le 28.08.2019 18:55, Laurent Le Meur a écrit :

> To add a precision (that you'll find in the video), Jiminy Panoz worked two years ago on the notion of "responsive table", carefully authored.
> Obviously, a basic and large HTML table in a reflowable EPUB, on an app using CSS multi-columns, will not be displayed correctly on a smartphone.
>
> Cordialement,
>
> Laurent Le Meur
> CTO EDRLab
>
>> Le 28 août 2019 à 18:11, Gregorio Pellegrino - Fondazione LIA <gregorio.pellegrino@fondazionelia.org> a écrit :
>>
>> Dear CG,
>>
>> recently at Fondazione LIA we have been working on an accessible EPUB 3 with technical content. We realized that different reading systems have problems displaying complex tables that, although correctly structured in HTML and CSS, are cut in the reading mode (attached some screenshots of example).
>>
>> We have been confronted with Jiminy Panoz and EDRLab not finding a practical solution applicable.
>>
>> In our opinion we should find guidelines for EPUB authors and reading solutions, since more and more content producers want to produce academic, professional, scientific and not only narrative texts in EPUB.
>>
>> What could be the right way forward? Identify tables with particular attributes (ARIA or epub:type) for correct identification by reading solutions? Any other ideas?
>>
>> A good starting point could be the intervention of Toby Green, OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) at EPUB SUMMIT 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YkYBmh8YWM#t=36m25s
>> Gregorio
>>
>> ---
>> Gregorio Pellegrino
>> _Chief Accessibility Officer_
>>
>> Corso di Porta Romana 108, 20122 Milano
>> Tel. +39 02 89280822
>> www.fondazionelia.org [1] - www.libriitalianiaccessibili.org [2]
>> [3]      Segui @fondazionelia
>>
>> NETWORK CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>
>> Il presente messaggio, e ogni eventuale documento a questo allegato, potrebbe contenere informazioni da considerarsi strettamente riservate ad esclusivo utilizzo del destinatario in indirizzo, il quale è l'unico autorizzato ad usarlo, copiarlo e, sotto la propria responsabilità, diffonderlo. Chiunque ricevesse questo messaggio per errore o comunque lo leggesse senza esserne legittimato è avvertito che trattenerlo, copiarlo, divulgarlo, distribuirlo a persone diverse dal destinatario è severamente proibito ed è pregato di darne notizia immediatamente al mittente oltre che cancellare il messaggio e i suoi eventuali allegati dal proprio sistema.
>> Le opinioni espresse nel messaggio sono quelle proprie del mittente, se non diversamente e specificatamente dichiarato dal mittente stesso.

> [...]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.fondazionelia.org/
[2] http://www.libriitalianiaccessibili.org/