Re: Documenting EPUB feature requests

> Il giorno 14 ago 2019, alle ore 20:18, Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 6:54 AM fabrizio venerandi <fabrizio.venerandi@quintadicopertina.com> wrote:
> - allow non-linear reading for interactive reading (allow non-turnable pages)
>
> I don't understand "non-turnable pages"

Currently, if I build an ebook as a set of text atoms allowing the reader to navigate by choosing his own path, using hypertext, I cannot "close" a path with a crossroads: if the last page of a path is a choice between two links, for example, the reader could decide to do not select any link, turn the page and jump in another non-related path. Electronic Literature and most non-fiction ebook we build in last years showed that is an error give to the reader the power to turn all the pages of a ebook: it is not a book, it is an ebook.

> - allow access to remote text and not only video (for ebook that update themself)
>
> How would this work? I presume the user would have to consent to the update.

We made some experimental ePub2 with some normal chapters and some chapters that connects themself to our publisher house's site, to allow reader to read contents author write *after* the ebook is published. This is useful when, for example, the author is writing of a fact in the moment of its development and wants to give to his readers constant updates on the event. Both in the political, social and scientific fields.

> - ask reading systems to re-paginate chapters when the size of the chapter changes for user interaction (via javascript or summary/details tags
>
> I think this is a bug in (some?) existing reading systems

Currently every reading system AFAIK. *When* paginate a chapter, and *when* start javascript code related to a chapter, for example, are not choices than could be ignored by the specifications.

> - add full support for paged media CSS
>
> Could you go into more detail about this? Parts of CSS-Pages and GCPM are really specific to print (such as trim marks). Much of CSS pages depends on an unchanging viewport size, which in general isn't true for the web. EPUB has had running heads before, but there was little interest in implementation.

For example for footnotes: currently we have a mixed way to handle footnotes: hyperlink, pop-up (managed by reading system with no consistency), nothing (...). But hyperlink or pop-up are not footnotes, they have own way of interfacing with the original text. Footnotes are footnotes, and paged media have CSS to manage footnotes for pages.

> - add controls for virtual page in Javascript
>

> What sort of controls?

Virtual pages are something that "exist" for the user, but do not exist for CSS or Javascript. I have no way to "make something" with a page, because there are no controls for pages. I can not ask to an image to stay inside a page, because CSS talks to DOM, not pages. Or, in Javscript, I can not identify elements in a page or in another one. I have very poor controls in reflow ebooks.

Thank you for you questions.

Fabrizio