Re: Documenting EPUB feature requests

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 3:44 AM Harri Heikkilä <Harri.Heikkila@lamk.fi>
wrote:

> [Brainstorming, ideas]:
>
> 1) Annotation & note creating and *sharing* systems (for example shared
> highlightnings in textbooks)

I've seen demos of reading systems where annotations can be shared among a
defined group within a particular reading system. Are you hoping to share
annotations across different reading systems?

> 2) Glossaries (via popups)

There is a spec, but I'm not aware of any implementations.

3) Cross reference systems (with previews)

Are you talking about linking to other EPUBs? This gets really complicated.
How would you construct a URL to something that might be available from a
hundred different sources, might cost money, and might not be online?

> 4) Easy support for more typographic finesses (like running headers, block
> quotes, pull quotes etc.)

blockquote is a standard HTML element. We do pull quotes all the time with
standard HTML and CSS. EPUB tried to specify a mechanism for running heads,
but it received little interest or adoption, and so it was removed.

5) Advanced navigation (see for example how Kindle does it)

Could you go into more detail about this?

6) Support of social reading functions

What sort of functions are you thinking of?

> 7) Creating a working group with companies offering professional
> publishing tools to support these kind of features in creating / exporting
> EPUB (Adobe, Quark, Affinity...)

We would be delighted if Adobe or Quark participated in the CG. But I think
the best thing of all would be EPUB export from Microsoft Word.

Thanks,

Dave