RE: [epub32] updated deprecated text

Yes, it sounds like wires are being crossed here. Legacy features are ones from EPUB 2 that are allowed in EPUB 3 for backwards compatibility. They absolutely should not be supported in EPUB 3 itself. This only covers NCX, guide and OPF2 meta.

Deprecation is used for features of EPUB 3 that are no longer recommended for use, and a reading system “may” support these per the current definition.

Matt

From: Garth Conboy <garth@google.com>
Sent: April 22, 2018 13:48
To: MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Cc: public-epub3@w3.org
Subject: Re: [epub32] updated deprecated text

Hi Makoto,

I think the (deprecated) language is okay, and is okay on the case you're commenting about.  The line on legacy says of such features "Reading Systems MUST NOT support the legacy feature in content that conforms to this version of the specification."  Which, for the NCX, means that a 3.2 reading system can/should support it for content that's marked version 2.x, but must not support it for 3.x content (it must use the Nav Doc instead).  Also, a 2.x reading system would use the NCX on 3.x content that has both NCX and the NavDoc (as a 2.x RS doesn't know about the NavDoc) – it's the latter case that's one that drives folks to want to include both NCX and NavDoc.

Best,

   Garth