Re: [FXLA11Y] Minutes - 18 April 2023

Leonard,

I know that Japanese users are annoyed since
most PDF readers (including those from Adobe)
read aloud the ruby line before the line containing
base characters.  I also know that at least two
companies write software for guessing the
relationship between ruby and base characters
(without using PDF ruby tags) so that they can
create reasonable DAISY textbooks, which
represents the relationship between ruby annotations
and base characters.  If PDF tags for ruby
are correctly used, these problems should
not happen.

Do most PDF documents lack PDF tags for
ruby?  Or, are developers unaware of them?
I do not know.  But when JIS X 8341-3:2016
is revised in the future, I will raise this issue
and make sure that it will strongly discourage
the use of those PDF generators which do not
create PDF tags for ruby.

Regards,
Makoto

慶應義塾大学政策・メディア研究科特任教授