Re: Language in eocred

On 13/03/18 16:13, Hugh Paterson III wrote:
> Phil,
>
> I appreciate this discussion. I'm trying to get my head around an
> economy of credentials. A German (or any company where the corporate
> culture has a monolingual language component) would be looking for
> someone with a certain set of credentials. Would such a company's HR
> department limit their search to credentialing organizations that only
> offer "German" credentials? Rather than looking for a universal set of
> "Credentials" and then also for a competency or credential of
> "German". Take the case of a materials chemist for working in the
> solar manufacturing industry. Let's assume that a German Company wants
> to fill a new opening. They start their recruitment search. The team
> they want to recruit for will be German speaking team. Where do they
> start their search?

I think they would have two distinct requirements, one relating to
competence in, say, Material Science, the second relating to
communication in German. An applicant could have distinct credentials
for each of those, rather than a single credential for "Material Science
in German". Of course, there may be some specific German Material
Science credential that they want you to match.

Here's an example
<https://de.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=d49cb4c0b5c43edc&tk=1c8g2uu7p9nti8lp&from=serp&alid=3&advn=8152945570522556>
job advert which includes "A minimum of a M.Sc. degree in a technical
field" and "Very good verbal and written communication skills in English
and German".

That said, I have come across a situation (admissions to a Masters
program on which I taught) where there was a requirement for a bachelor
degree in computer science and proficiency in English at a certain
level. This could be met by either providing two separate credentials,
or by having acquired the BS in CS from an institution that taught in
English. But the important thing was that the courses and assessments
were in English. I think it was implicit assumed that a CS bachelors
degree from an institution that taught in English would require
competencies for written and spoken communication in English--something
that could be made explicit through the competencyRequired property.

I think we have all these bases covered.

Phil