Re: Language in eocred

Hello Hugh

On 12/03/18 17:19, Hugh Paterson III wrote:
> I have a use case for competency/credential discovery.
>
> I want to find pilots who not only speak German as a competency, or
> received a German Federal aviation credential, but trained for their
> Aviation certificates using the German language.
> So more broadly this is a use case where the knowledge was expressed
> in a language.

I think that there are two options from the existing use cases that
would cover this type of requirement:
a, we consider it as a competence just like any other, and express it as
such; or
b, we say it is a requirement that is not really a competence, for which
we have the eligibility requirements
<https://www.w3.org/community/eocred-schema/wiki/Use_Cases#Eligibility_requirements>
use case

The demonstrated ability to express knowledge in a given language could
be case (a); to have been undertaken aviation training in the medium of
German could be case (b).

> If we take this to the case of math skills, or the completion of some
> Algebra course, I want to know what language the course was taught in.

As was the case when we discussed costs, I think we need to be careful
to distinguish between the Credential, Learning Opportunities that can
lead to the credential, and Assessments that must be passed before the
credential is awarded.

> have we covered this yet as a use case in
> :https://www.w3.org/community/eocred-schema/wiki/Use_Cases
>
> 1. The text book for a maths course in German could use the LRMI
> language attribute.
>
>       o inLanguage schema.org/Language <http://schema.org/Language>
>             The primary language of the resource.

Agreed. We can specify the language of learning resources
(schema:CreativeWork) that are relevant to the credential

> 2. The maths course was taught in German could be described by
> ______________.
A schema:Course is a CreativeWork, and a CourseInstance is an Event, so
we can use the inLanguage property for these as well.

> 3. The Credential offered seems to be agnostic to language
> considerations as it is just a credential unless we are using a
> language tag to describe the language used in the credential's essence.
Sure, if Credential is a type of CreativeWork we have various ways of
talking about its language, translations, and instances/embodiments
<http://schema.org/workExample> of it.

> 4. Any given competency may have an equivalent in another schema but
> be expressed in another natural language. (That is, there may be a
> German standard for competencies that has been aligned to an English
> standard for competencies, but what is missing seems to be the element
> that the competency was expressed in a particular natural language.)

There is no way of expressing competences in schema.org at the moment.
As Stuart said, there have been suggestions about how CategoryCode /
DefinedTerm could be used, and how it could be extended into something a
little bit more SKOS-like. A DefinedTerm would be part of a
DefinedTermSet, which is a subtype of CreativeWork. So if they were used
as the basis for describing competencies and competence frameworks, then
the language of a Competence Framework could be provided. I am inclined
to think that the detailed modeling of competencies is a rabbit hole
that we shouldn't go too far down.

Phil

--

Phil Barker <http://people.pjjk.net/phil>. http://people.pjjk.net/phil
PJJK Limited <https://www.pjjk.co.uk>: technology to enhance learning;

PJJK Limited is registered in Scotland as a private limited company,
number SC569282.
CETIS is a co-operative limited liability partnership, registered in
England number OC399090