Re: EOCred: Identifying subtypes of credential

I want to say that Stuart and I have already had this discussion, but:

I don't think credentialType is needed.

Adding credentialType conflicts with the intent of the object's type.
Remember, type is just a field as well.

Schema.org/Thing also has http://schema.org/additionalType to permit the
adding of additional (specific, not defined here) type data to any object.

http://schema.org/Action is a good example of where a lot of subTypes are
added to a base class without necessarily adding properties (though some
do!), so we also have precident there.

There's lots of established avenues that allow for subtyping. On the other
hand, there are also several instances of additional type being
specifically identified, usually paired with a fixed taxonomy of types
(ActionStatusType, BoardingPolicyType, BusinessEntityType,
EventStatusType). I also believe these instances aren't in the spirit of
schema.org.

Type properties like credentialType prevent additional subtyping and
encourage "text" descriptions (see AlignmentObject's AlignmentType) where
it should really be URLs so that interpretations can be distinguished and
separate.

Type properties also discourage additional subtyping and do not prevent a
means of structuring dependent subtypes. Is an IVA credential (from the
example above) a type of SVQ credential? Without an additional structured
ontology to point at, it is difficult to know.

What additional properties does a specific type of credential confer? For
instance, a military MOS credential may have a securityClassificationLevel.
Do we need to add those properties to the base class? (With credentialType,
maybe, with subtypes, certainly not.)