Re: EOCred: Identifying subtypes of credential

Hi Alex, I'm not quite sure which example you're referring to, but in
scheme.org every type in the hierarchy  inherits the url,
<http://schema.org/url> sameAs <http://schema.org/sameAs>, and
identifier <http://schema.org/identifier> properties from Thing which is
at the top of the class hierarchy. So if the credentialType is provided
as a TermDefinition, then identifiers for the term being defined could
be provided. Which you use, I think, would depend on what type of
identifier you were providing, whether it was for human or machine use,
and, in the case of machine identifiers, what you thought the receiving
system would understand. There is also the @id mechanism in JSON and
equivalents in microdata and RDFa.

Something like this would be valid (but perhaps overkill):

{
   "@type": "EducationalOccupationalCredential",
   "@id" : "http://id.example.org/badges/#1",  // URI for semantic web apps
   "url" : "http://badges.example.org/Badge1", // url for humans
   "name" : "example badge",
   "credentialType": {
     "@type" : "TermDefinition",
     "@id" : "http://purl.org/ctdl/terms/Badge"
     "name" : "Badge",
     "url" : "http://credreg.net/ctdl/terms/Badge#Badge",
     "identifier" : "http://purl.org/ctdl/terms/Badge",
     "inDefinedTermSet" : "http://credreg.net/ctdl/terms/"
   }
}

[aside: we didn't have a use case for providing identifiers for
anything; maybe we should]

Phil