Re: EOCred: Addressing requirements from use cases

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 8:10 AM, Richard Wallis <richard.wallis@dataliberate.
com> wrote:

> In principle creating an *EducationalOccupationalCredent**ial* type
> and making it a subtype of *CreativeWork* make sense to me.  This is a
> good start. However the following practical thoughts come to mind:
>
>    - Just looking at the name *EducationalOccupationalCredent**ial* makes
>    me think that it should have a basic super-type of *Credential* that
>    is not tied to the Educational / Occupational domains.  I can already
>    anticipate the questions about marking up some form of general
>    qualification, measure of achievement, recognised membership level, or
>    attendance, that the developer does not consider either educational or
>    occupational.
>
>    - In practice “*properties like educationalAlignment, audience,
>    offers, provider, hasPart, datePublished, dateModified, expires, creator
>    (and possibly others) will be useful in describing
>    EducationalOccupationalCredentials.*” Is not sufficient reason on its
>    own for minting yet another subtype of CreativeWork.  Do we believe such a
>    thing is a type of Creative Work?
>
> Richard, I think that if *Course* can be a *CreativeWork*, a case can be
made for* EducationalOccupationalCredential* being one.  They are
undeniably 'works' that require at least a 'modicum of creativity'.

If we look at the class extension (subtypes) of *CreativeWork
<http://schema.org/CreativeWork>*, there are no apparent controlling
attributes that I can see to guide what should be in (or out). So,
arguments that *EducationalOccupationalCredential* "is" or "isn't" are
probably equally rudderless. But, if the following subtypes passed muster
as *CreativeWorks*, I wish someone would fill me in on the common
characteristics of the class that made it possible:

   - Comment
   - Question
   - Menu
   - Message
   - Dataset

--
Stuart A. Sutton, Metadata Consultant
Associate Professor Emeritus, University of Washington