RE: Group Note FPWD is done

This is my first post to the list.  I have been reading your posts with
interest.  Thanks to everyone for their work.

While Trond makes a number of excellent points, I would like to add to
one of the points that he makes:

<Trond>

a. you answer the question: "how can interoperability be achieved"
without clearly stating that the best way to achieve interoperability is
through standardization.

</Trond>

In my experience, "interoperability" and "standardization" are not
synonymous.  While it is true that standardization can help to achieve
interoperability, it is equally true that poor or complex standards can
be barriers to interoperability.

Government employees often rely on standards groups or other government
agencies to bless standards, without having a deep knowledge of the
adopted standards or associated technologies.  This makes government
procurement easier (and, of course, you cannot get fired for adopting
the "industry standard").

The problem is that if/when poor or complex standards are adopted by
government, the effect is the opposite of high-level goals.  That is,
instead of easier and cheaper access to government information,
government information becomes more expensive and more difficult to
access.

Sadly, there are people both in the public and private sector that
benefit from expensive, more difficult-to-access government information.
Hence, in my view, the interoperability problem is not equivalent to ,
or as simple as, "standardization."  If you lead government to believe
that access to information is solved by standardization, you may find
you that you do not get what you are after.

Thanks,

Todd

Winchel "Todd" Vincent III