RE: semantics -- Re: Group Note FPWD is done

Owen and Vasillios:

Semantics, especially s as we understand it in relation to the semantic
web, does little, if anything, to resolve the issues below.

Pragmaticism and semiotics are terms used to describe these issues.
Without spending too much time on an issue that may not resonate with
others on the list, pragmaticism implies that a speaker understands
meaning of a term as heard by a listener. Semiotics, the study of signs,
recognizes that meaning implies interpretation and distinguishes
interpretation from definition.

The claim that plain language can capture all meaning disregards much of
what science tells us about how we use language. Memes and neologisms are
accepted ways of  communicating and accelerate cultural evolution.

I suspect that's probably enough for this list. You can read more about
these issues on the ontolog forum here

http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/

or you can check my blog ...

http://phaneron.rickmurphy.org/

Best wishes,

Rick

office: 202-501-9199
cell: 202-557-1604

"Owen Ambur" <Owen.Ambur@verizon.net>
Sent by: public-egov-ig-request@w3.org
03/06/2009 09:05 AM

"'eGov IG'" <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
cc

Subject
RE: semantics -- Re: Group Note FPWD is done

No disagreement at all, Vassilios.  The more semantic agreement that can
be achieved in advance, the better.

The point I wanted to make is that none of us should be paralyzed into
inaction simply because others may disagree with us.  If each of us merely
documents the meanings of our own terms in readily sharable format,
disparate semantics can be understood and, hopefully, resolved over time.

The problem as I see it is that everyone uses their own terms while
failing to document what they mean, in plain language.  That enables all
of us to maintain the illusion of understanding on the one hand while each
of us continues to apply our own interpretations to fit our own biases and
views of the world, with the result that communication is less efficient
and effective than it could be.

Owen