From: public-egov-ig-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-egov-ig-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Jose M. Alonso
Sent: 21 April 2009 18:01
To: Owen Ambur
Cc: 'pavan kumar'; public-egov-ig@w3.org; Laurens van den Oever
Subject: Re: Plain Language use case [was RE: Suggestion for
Introduction]

> I'm copying Laurens in the event that Xopus may wish to provide
> similar capability to collaboratively edit W3C Notes, like ours:
http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/Group/docs/note

Hm, I would like to try that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_concerns
>    From my perspective, a good test of the openness of "data" is
> whether it can be edited using myriad tools.  It also seems to me
> that the W3C's publication rules are a little onerous and focus on
> issues other than making the W3C's data readily accessible to and
> usable by stakeholders (like us).  Perhaps that is merely a case of
> ignorance on my part.  However, highly effective organizations have
> ways of accommodating ignorant as well as highly educated
> stakeholders.

Owen, Amaya is not required to edit the note. The Note is XHTML, you
can use any editor you like to edit it. The issue we have here is that
of editing it _online_.

W3C has a CVS-backed system and in order to edit the Note in place,
there are only two options: CVS or HTTP PUT. Since getting a CVS
account takes usually much longer I asked for Jigedit (HTTP PUT)
accounts for authors. Amaya is one of the very few tools that
implement HTTP PUT. I wish there were more. I'm sorry you had issues
with it.

As you know, the draft lived in the wiki for quite some time. I moved
it to the current place as the publishing date was getting closer and
to work on the pubrules compliance. Look at the number of references
and the code behind them, that alone took me quite some time.

If I were a better Mediawiki user and would have had more time by
then, we all could probably have edited it at its wiki location. Move
portions and edit them there if you want and I'll take care of copying
them to the doc once changes agreed. You can also edit offline and
send the text or a diff by email.

Again, I'm sorry about the trouble. I wish we had more and better
tools but resources are very limited. I'm open to suggestions and
testing.

-- Jose