Re: [agenda] eGov IG telecon, 25 June 2008

On Wednesday 25 June 2008 07:47:35 Robin Berjon wrote:
> On Jun 24, 2008, at 15:48 , Katie Haritos-Shea wrote:
> > Note that many government (and governement located) folks when
> > attending the calls during work hours may not be able to use IRC due
> > to access restriction and firewall issues.
>
> For some reason I can't seem to locate it right now, but somewhere on
> the W3C website is a Web interface to IRC that works behind firewalls,
> Jose probably knows where it is (I think it's linked to from
> http://www.w3.org/Project/IRC/ but I don't have access to that page).

Also note that there are IRC proxies, such as dircproxy [1], that some system
administrators may find easier to live with as it gives them a central point
of control. I personally think that blocking IRC gives no tangible security
benefit, but I'm living with this solution myself.

[1] http://dircproxy.securiweb.net/

Kind regards

Kjetil Kjernsmo
--
Senior Knowledge Engineer
Direct: +47 6783 1136 | Mobile: +47 986 48 234

|  SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE  |

Computas AS  Vollsveien 9, PO Box 482, N-1327 Lysaker | Phone:+47 6783 1000 |
Fax:+47 6783 1001