Re: Questions about Editing TF specs

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 11:36 AM Léonie Watson <tink@tink.uk> wrote:

> Johannes & the Editing TF,
>
> It's charter renewal time and we have some questions we could use your
> help with please...
>
> 1. Input Events.
>
> We have Input Events Level 1 [1] and Input Events Level 2 [2]in
> progress. Is Input Events Level 1 expected to progress to Recommendation?

Yes, we are waiting for feedback from W3C on this.

> If yes, what is the interop story and does it have a test suite?

I have been asking a few people off-list, but just to make sure, let me
also ask anyone else out there: As far as I and those who have responded to
me so far are aware, there is no automatic way to test editing events. This
is due to Selenium being broken when it comes to contenteditable (selection
inside a contenteditable element doesn't work and one cannot fake the
various user input action). What we do for example for Fidus Writer is use
some extra JavaScript code that sets the selection somewhere
programatically, etc., and that works for some types of testing, but
precisely because it's all set programmatically, one does not get the same
types of events.

So my question to everyone else out there: has anyone been able to create
automatic tests that test user input in relation to contenteditable? If so,
how did you do it?

> If not, what is the plan for it?
>
> 2. ExecCommand.
>
> The ExecCommand [3] spec states it is not intended to progress to Rec.
> Should we publish it as a Note so the content isn't lost?
>
> If not, what is the plan for it?
>
> 3. Clipboard API.
>
> Is Clipboard [5] ready to move to FPWD? It's been an ED for a long time
> now, and it would be good to progress it if we can.
>
> Thanks.
> Léonie.
>
> [1] https://rawgit.com/w3c/input-events/v1/
> [2] https://w3c.github.io/input-events/
> [3] file:///C:/Users/tink/OneDrive/Projects/WebPlatformWG/PubStatus.html
> [4] https://w3c.github.io/clipboard-apis/
>
>   --
> @LeonieWatson @tink@toot.cafe Carpe diem

http://www.johanneswilm.org