Re: Stickers in contenteditable?

I can pass along questions you might have and/or get you in touch with some
people if needed.

However, I don't see how "stickers" by themselves warrant any special
support -- they're basically just inline images with no real consistency
between vendors or even between sticker packs from the same vendor.

Having stickers provided by the OS/UA is a non-starter because there is no
unified registry (nor do we want to maintain one). Even if there was a
registry (like Unicode is for emoji), there are still issues where users on
one platform get annoyed unless their stickers/emoji show up *exactly* as
they appeared when the message was composed. Many users specifically misuse
emoji based on the appearance (cf. eggplant emoji) and don't want the
recipient to get a different image.

So to support stickers properly, we'd really just need to support generic
inline images. Anything beyond that feels out of scope for the editing api.

But I worry that spending time adding support for inline images/rich
content (while quite useful) would be a distraction from nailing down the
remaining issues.

I think that this might be worth doing, but I'm not convinced that it's
worth doing right now.