Re: CSS and copy/pasting guidelines

So, if we are proposing three different paste versions:

- A. plaintext exactly as was
- B. plaintext with some intelligence applied
- C. richtext possible with some additional, intelligently added data, but
with nothing removed so that any JavaScript application can decide exactly
how to handle the pasted text

I wonder:
- How difficult (or impossible) is it to obtain the same output as A or B
if one has access to C? Would it be possible to just have either A or B
browserside and let the client calculate the other one in JS?
- if we have both A and B, how do we decide which one to use in places that
only allow plaintext input?

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 1:22 PM, Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen <
hsteen@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 2:47 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>
> >> On Mar 31, 2016, at 20:04, Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen <
> hsteen@mozilla.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> The only remaining contentious part
> >> should be what to do for the plain text case - IMO having the "source
> >> code case" available as rich text makes it even more correct to let
> >> the plain text clipboard entry be as close as possible to what the
> >> user sees on the screen.
> >
> > It's tricky, as it may affect semantics / accessibility. Consider for
> example a piece of Japanese text with ruby, and the full-size-kana[*] text
> transform applied to the ruby.
>
> This is an interesting case, but should this use case be handled with
> CSS and text-transform at all?
>
> Here the size of the character transform the pronunciation and in many
> cases the *meaning* of the text itself, it's not really equivalent to
> the roman upper/lower case concept, which *is* merely a stylistic
> choice. IMHO we may be running into this problem because we're trying
> to use the wrong tool for the job known as "improve furigana
> readability for small kana".
>
> It's tempting to suggest this should be default behaviour for UAs
> rendering ruby markup (perhaps depend on configuration) rather than a
> CSS-based effect. But then, that sort of goes against the "everything
> in the platform should be explained by code" school of thinking. I'm
> not sure what the best solution is..
>

> @media clipboard-plaintext{
>   rt{ text-transform:none }
> }