Re: on execCommand() and script-triggered copy/cut/paste

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen <
hsteen@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 1:13 PM, Johannes Wilm <johannes@fiduswriter.org>
> wrote:
>

>> This is what happened here: Aryeh's draft was out there, then our
>> version. The clipboard api people saw that and assumed it was a good idea
>> to continue building on top of execCommand.
>>

> Just for the record - the "clipboard people" (i.e. yours truly) simply
> assumed that a spec documenting what several implementations do, cleaning
> up the corner cases to make it easier to achieve compatibility would be a
> useful thing to do - this has nothing to do with a spec being considered
> more or less authoritative, I was just assuming that you were having
> similar goals. So since I'm trying to build on and refine the legacy,
> implemented stuff and you're trying to replace it we end up discovering
> that we've made opposite assumptions and have mutually incompatible goals
> for our specs. Such things happen :)

I see. At any rate, you asked us to change some things to execCommand, at
which time I realized you probably hadn't followed the previous discussion
on execCommand in this tf. Which you hadn't. That is of course
understandable -- I don't have time to follow every discussion about
clipboard either. But it showed me that we needed to communicate the
current status of that discussion more clearly in a way that wasn't to be
misunderstood.

> -Hallvord

Fidus Writer
http://www.fiduswriter.org