Re: Manageable and predictable text insertion

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Ben Peters <Ben.Peters@microsoft.com>
wrote:

>  What do you think of the Replace idea in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-editing-tf/2014Nov/0031.html ?

I think that under cE=insertCharacters, the Replace Intent should never
trigger deletion of any nodes or elements.

According to your example you say:
    browser replaces the now-empty selection with "a"

In other words if the event is allowed to continue and the selection is
non-empty the browser takes it upon itself to delete some stuff. This goes
against my reasoning for cE=insertCharacters.

Simply put I really don't want the browser to ever touch the DOM Elements
inside my editor. When the browser does that, my editor will be put in an
uncertain state.

With cE=insertCharacters defined as I did, there is no possible confusion:
a browser should not delete anything. Ever. This creates an environment in
which I actually stand a chance of creating a decent editor that won't
spring up random bugs.