Re: Algorithms for Editing Operations

On Thu Nov 06 2014 at 4:09:18 PM Ben Peters <Ben.Peters@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I have begun to research algorithms for editing, including insert text,
> insert content, delete content, insert newline, and replace content. I
> believe our goal should be to have consistent behavior that is reasonable
> and simple. In order to make it lightweight and easy to agree on, I think
> it should have very few heuristics and should instead rely on well-defined
> simplicity. This will result in imperfect, but consistent behavior.
> Frameworks and sites can implement their own complex heuristics or custom
> behavior using Intention Events. Thoughts?

 I completely agree that consistent and predictable behavior, even if
incomplete is the right way to go.

I wrote a proposal for text insertion to this list last month but I got no

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-editing-tf/2014Oct/0008.html

It is precisely the kind of mechanism that has very few heuristics by
design, but is quite helpful to developers. Please let me know what you
think.

Cheers,

Olivier