Re: Default Caret and Selection Positioning Spec?

> > > Ok, wouldn't this mean in the second example of each that new content being added to the inline element or not depends which arrow key was pressed previously?
> >
> > No, it doesn’t depend on which key, but on where I was before the caret move. If I was outside, I stay outside. If I was inside, I stay inside.
>
> On the GitHub issue we had the idea that the default behavior of cE=typing should mimic long-established practices by legacy rich editors (Word, Google docs, Mac TextEdit.) We figure these behaviors are what users expect. Besides it will be far easier for us to come to an agreement by copying existing practices than to come up with new and wonderful UI patterns.

That new wonderful UI pattern didn’t come from my mind out of nothing and is not so new :) It is the behavior that Firefox has had in cE for years already. I always appreciated that idea and so I’m just re-proposing it here.

As any proposal, it can be dropped by bringing to the table solid arguments. You brought some and I agree that mimicking MS Word is a good approach, being this the most used text editor in the world. Curious if IE generally follows MS Word behavior as well, @Ben :)

--
Frederico Knabben
CKEditor Project Lead and CKSource Owner