Re: List of Intentions

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Julie Parent <jparent@google.com> wrote:

> This is a great list, and I agree it is the right starting point.
>

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Ben Peters <Ben.Peters@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
>> We now have a good list of use cases on the Explainer[1]. I believe the
>> next step is to come up with the Intentions that we need to allow sites and
>> frameworks to respond to. After that, we can determine which current or new
>> spec each Intention is covered by. Please let me know what you think of
>> this list and if you agree it covers our use cases. The last several are
>> borrowed from IndieUI[2], which we could use to cover those cases if we
>> believe that is best.
>>
>> * Focus/place caret
>> * Move caret
>> * Start selection (eg mouse down to select)
>> * Update selection (eg mouse move during selection)
>> * Finish selection (eg mouse up after selecting)
>> * Modify selection (extend selection after it's finished. Might be
>> covered by update/finish)
>> * Insert text
>> * Insert content / insert HTML
>> * Delete content
>> * Delete forward
>> * Delete backward
>> * Insert newline
>>

> Do we need newline as a special case? Wouldn't this be covered by insert
> text/content/HTML?

Do you mean we could look for the LF or CR characters in the insert text
event?

I think that just for the sake of consistency "insert newline" should be a
command event.

Also consider the case of tabs (which could be in this list as "Indent
Right" and "Indent Left" I suppose). There is a control character for tab,
so we could look for it in insert text events and indent our content to the
right when it shows up. However there is no control character that
signifies "indent left" because control characters are display controls,
not user events. As a result "tab"/"indents" have to be command events. And
if indents, deletes, and everything else are command events, it seems
natural that newlines would be too.

>> * Undo
>> * Redo
>> * Paste
>> * Copy
>> * Cut
>> * Drag start/over/stop
>> * Drop
>> * Scroll/pan
>>

>> * Activate / Invoke
>
> * Expand
>> * Collapse
>> * Media next/previous/start/stop/pause
>> * Rotate
>> * Zoom
>> * Value change
>>

> Is this the set from indie-ui?  I think we should make a decision if we
> are trying to cover these cases or not, as they do not make sense in the
> context of rich text editing and might be out of scope.  It would help to
> have a list of arguments for/against merging with indie-ui?

I agree with "out of scope". As a potential editor dev I have pretty much
no idea what to do with any of the events from "Activate/Invoke" down.