From: pedro winstley <pedro.win.stan@googlemail.com>
Sent: 16 January 2020 23:44:12
To: Philippe Le Hégaret
Cc: Cox, Simon (L&W, Clayton); Riccardo Albertoni; Alejandra Gonzalez-Beltran; Dataset Exchange Working Group
Subject: Re: License for DCAT vocabulary?

It sounds good to me Philippe
We're looking to make some moves towards V3 by then and the draft of the V3 ontology could be published in the early PWDs as CC0.

I'm think that we don't want any delay with publishing V2

Do other colleagues concur?

Peter

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020, 20:30 Philippe Le Hégaret, <plh@w3.org<mailto:plh@w3.org>> wrote:

On 1/15/2020 9:38 PM, Cox, Simon (L&W, Clayton) wrote:
> CC0 on the ontology provides the possibility of direct adoption by Wikidata, which would be better than their typical approach of cloning the ontology into their own namespace.
>
> But as a general principle, we should put the minimum barriers to reuse possible.  In my opinion CC0 is actually fine, provided we ensure that the URI of every vocabulary elements will de-reference to an artefact that contains attribution information.

So, after exchanging emails with legal, here is the catch: the Director
isn't allowed to grant an exception to the Software and Document license
without advice by the AC. That's embedded in the W3C Membership
agreement signed by between a W3C Member and the 4 W3C hosts
organization. Now, in the recent years, we got support from the AC to
use CC-BY, thus we could switch to CC-BY 4.0 right away for the
vocabulary file. To be able to go to CC0 will require a loop with the
AC. The timing is rather unfortunate since we just did a loop with a
proposed charter to the AC and we probably don't want to delay DCAT-2
for 2 months. So I guess I would propose to switch to CC-BY 4 for now
and wait until June 2020 to do a new rechartering again.

Now, the reason why June is interesting is because, if things are on
track, we'll have to recharter to use Process 2020 (due to the
significant change in the patent policy). At that time, we could add CC0
for the vocabulary file directly in the charter to do yet another AC
review. How does that sound?

Philippe