Re: [dxwg] Express dct:contributor explicitly or via qualifiedAttribution (#1065)

From: matthiaspalmer via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 14:40:37 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
@andrea-perego I appreciate the common understanding that there is confusion here :-)
I do not really have an opinion which way it should be, I just want it to be clear.

If your interpretation holds, that it should be expressed directly. Then how should this be formulated better in DCAT? Below is a clumsy attempt:

1. It is recommended to use dct:creator and dct:publisher as direct properties.
2. If there is a need to express other relations between datasets and agents, use the prov:wasAttributedTo with the corresponding property as dcat:hadRole.
3. Special case: if the role is the generic dct:contributor, it should be expressed as a direct property as well, just like dct:creator and dct:publisher. However, we do not formally recommended this property on cataloged resources like we do for dct:creator and dct:publisher.

The nr. 3 special case would make more sense if it applied to more properties, but as far as I know, there are no more properties in DCTerms that it applies to.

Maybe the three rules above can be formalized in a less awkward way?

There is definitely two simpler ways if it is important to keep the model / writings in DCAT simpler:
1. Recommend it OR
2. express it via prov:wasAttributedTo

--
GitHub Notification of comment by matthiaspalmer
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/1065#issuecomment-533162463 using your GitHub account