Re: [dxwg] dcat:Resource description edits, section 5.1 (#966)

From: Andrea Perego via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2019 23:55:17 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
@riccardoAlbertoni , to me, using "is a" states that `dcat:Resource` is a subclass or instance of a metadata record - and therefore it represents a metadata record (and so "metadata about metadata", a `dcat:CatalogRecord`), not a resource described in a catalogue. I understand from your reply that this is not what you intended to state, but I think this is how many people will read it, so it may lead to misunderstandings.

The definition of `dcat:Catalog` you cite sounds correct to me, so I don't think it needs to be changed - actually, the second sentence may need to, as it seems to limit the scope of `dcat:Catalog` to datasets and data services, excluding other types of resources (`dcat:Resource`).

On a different note, this discussion has also made me wonder whether it is appropriate to state (or simply suggest) that `dcat:Resource` denotes only resources documented in a catalogue, as this would apply to all its subclasses - with the result that `dcat:Dataset` and `dcat:DataService` cannot be used for datasets and services which are not documented in a catalogue.

This "constraint" is not included in the actual definition of `dcat:Resource`, but it may be (wrongly?) inferred from other statements - e.g., the section title:

> Class: Cataloged Resource

and the usage note

> The class of all cataloged resources...

An option could be to slightly revise them as follows:

> Class: Resource

and

--
GitHub Notification of comment by andrea-perego
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/966#issuecomment-507466065 using your GitHub account