Re: [dxwg] Profile negotiation [RPFN]

From: Ruben Verborgh via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 15:02:27 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
> Yes, my serialization is your media type.

That might be a bit confusing then, because a serialization
(as in "a concrete series of bytes representing a dataset")
would be determined by multiple factors,
such as media type, language, and profile.

> "It might or might not have its own identifier " - if there is no identifier, how will it be accessed/transmitted?

Access through the non-negotiated identifier;
indicate your preferences in headers.
The server replies with the negotiated response.

> but any resource on the web has an identifier for the resource, not just the work.

Any resource on the Web *can* have an identifier.

> I don't know DCAT terribly well but this seems to be a difference between dataset and distribution.

A distribution is a representation of a dataset.

> So as long as the URI for the dataset refers to an abstraction, that makes sense, but I'm not clear on what the non-abstraction consists of.

It refers to the dataset.

Ruben

--
GitHub Notification of comment by RubenVerborgh
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/74#issuecomment-396622109 using your GitHub account