Re: [dxwg] Profile negotiation [RPFN]

The practical reason is that without profile negotiation, a client wanting
a particular representation of a thing A must be able to find, interpret
and act on canonical metadata about what representations are. this is a
huge leap and barrier.

If you think about this a bit deeper the alternative is actually worse -
everyone publishing data and wanting to cite A, but only having options of
URLS of representations b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k... and unknown future
representations needs to continually maintain their data to have all the
links, or know what all the clients might want, and embed qualification
metadata  (i.e all the content and mechanisms of the "alternates" view Nick
was talking about, embedded in every resource.

In  a nutshell, we don't have a "Web of Data" or a "Semantic Web" of any
great depth relative the amount of "data on the web" partly because this is
currently broken. We can provide two canonical mechanisms to help -
negotiation and description of how profile-conformant resources relate. It
may not solve the problem but it addresses a major barrier.