Re: [dxwg] profileDesc and the Guidance document

From: kcoyle via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2018 07:37:52 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
If we take the view proposed by @aisaac and @larsgsvensson of providing a model rather than an ontology, it seems that the outline would look like:

* Introduction (non-normative)
  * What is a profile (normative)
        * A profile MUST have URI (or an IRI?) identifying it. The URI SHOULD be an http URI
        * A profile SHOULD have a title
        * A profile SHOULD have a textual description intended for humans
        * A profile document MAY link to schemas implementing the profile it describes
        * A profile SHOULD/MAY? have a description
  * Examples (non-normative)
       * ODRL is a good example since their profiles are explicitly media-type independent
       * DCAT APs
* Definitions (normative)
    * Profile
    * Schema (?)
    * Formalism (?)
    * ...
* Profile description (normative)
      * Background, motivation, use cases
      * Design rationale
      * Model and elements
      * Example(s) (non-normative)
* Bibliography

(Note: I'm not sure about saying in the profile guidance that a profile SHOULD have a description because that is something new that we will be recommending but none of our existing profiles have them. I would see the profile description as being RECOMMENDED but applying mainly to future development.)

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/242#issuecomment-394066731 using your GitHub account