RE: AW: Requirements for profiles

Karen,

On Monday, December 11, 2017 2:10 PM, Karen Coyle [mailto:kcoyle@kcoyle.net] wrote:

> Lars, I've been looking at DSP and ShEx. Something that is missing from
> DSP is any ability to define relationships between elements. This is the
> bulk, however, of what SHACL and ShEx provide. So a simple ShEx statement:
>
> my:UserShape {
>   (
>      foaf:name LITERAL

>       foaf:givenName LITERAL+;
>       foaf:familyName LITERAL
>   );
>   foaf:mbox IRI
> }
>
> which includes: "either a foaf:name OR (a foaf:givenName AND a
> foaf:familyName)"
>
> is not something that either the DSP nor the tables of CSVW can express.
> And that is one of the simpler cases that SHACL and ShEx are designed to
> handle.

Do you think it could be possible to extend DSP to accomodate those kinds of patterns?

> One solution could be to use either SHACL or ShEx to express profiles.

Focusing exclusively on SHACL and ShEx seems a bit too RDF-centric to me.

> The down side of that is the human-readability/creatability factor,
> since both of these are complex executable code that are good at the
> detail of a profile but are hard to read for the macro data structure
> (which DSP aims at). If we can at least bridge the gap that would turn
> either of those into documentation that people can be comfortable with,
> that would take us quite a ways.

That said, I think that it should be possible to create a human-readable page from a well-documented SHACL or ShEx document just as you can create HTML from an RDF vocabulary document (by evaluating rdf:label, dc:comment etc. in the class and property descriptions). I guess that best practices will emerge here.

Best,

Lars