Re: [dxwg] Requirement: Profiles may be written in or may link to a document or schema in a validation language (ShEx, SHACL, XMLschema). [ID41] (5.41)

From: Simon Cox via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 00:23:57 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
> ADMS for profile description

An `adms:Asset` is a special kind (i.e. sub-class) of `dcat:Dataset`, which primarily has some additional properties reflecting the fact that an Asset is better managed than a generic Dataset. It also adds some relationships to other Assets. The latter are certainly related to the requirements around dependencies that are typical in descriptions of Profiles. But overall `adms:Asset` is a more general case, so would need further specialization to support description of Profiles.

My hunch is that `Profile` is logically a sub-class of `dct:Standard` and potentially also `adms:Asset` (which would make it a sub-class of `dcat:Dataset`). But whether it makes our life easier (i.e. whether it will be easier to explain to implementers) to rely on this relatively deep subsumption, instead of defining a `Profile` class with fewer dependencies is questionable IMHO.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/279#issuecomment-417509966 using your GitHub account