Re: Start of profiles analysis page - 2nd reply

OGC has been codifying profiles of XML based APis using Schematron

Here is an example (via a Linked Data interface we are starting to put over
these types of resources - for the reasons discussed in this email thread!)

http://www.opengis.net/def/profiles_example/wmts_simple

A few salient points here:

1) The profile is normatively a document, but it references a normative
machine-readable constraint expression that must be satisfied for
conformance
2) Profiles may reference as many such constraints
3) Different profiles may use different constraint languages
4) OGC has moved towards separating the information model for a
specification from one or more encoding specifications, and is increasingly
facing the need for profiles of aspects, which may have multiple encodings
(i.e. we need to express profile content independently of encoding (MIME
type)
5) we will definitely want to support text, Schematron and SHACL now and
unspecified options in the future
6) we can build services that implement negotiation mechanisms
7) in the backend we will support entailment rules - such as providing a
flattened view of profile hierarchies where the constrain language supports
this
8) we desire (and are willing co-design) a profiles expression language in
RDF that supports both hierarchical declaration and flattened views of
profiles that specify the underlying source of each constraint.

It would appear to me that every specification has an "identity profile" -
i.e. a possibly empty set of constraints. so "conformsTo" should work
equally well for specifications and profiles. so the challenge is how to
locate the possible machine readable resources?   At this point we are in
solution space...

What is the best way of having relevant machine readable resources
discoverable by machine, and relevant human readable resources discovered
via hypertext interaction?

is this analagous to Dataset/Distribution ?

Do we use simple Conneg to get versions of the profile using a specific
language - with the semantics that the constraints expressed are the subset
that can be expressed in this language?

Rob